Friday, August 15, 2008

Self Esteem

A new friend of mine asks: "How Does One Lose Self Esteem Once Born?" (Check out her blog.)

There are a number of short answers, but I believe the keys are found in guilt and also not taking responsibility.

Many times, even as a child, we make bad choices. The natural reaction is to feel guilty, and go into defense mode. Somewhere inside we feel we aren't all that we should be.

The best way to deal with this low self esteem is to accept responsibly for our action. I don't mean advertising that we were wrong. I do, however, mean that we need to identify our part and acknowledge it. This can be internal or shared with anyone who may have been affected. Wisdom should be used here, don't just run around announcing that you blew it.

5 years ago I became aware that I was affected, by an event that happened to my wife, in a much bigger way than I ever imagined! She was "abducted" some years ago on her way to work.

How could I possibly be responsible for some "down on his luck", and hyped up on drugs idiot, abducting my wife? There are a number of things I could have done and didn't. I didn't drive her to work, for example.

Once I faced the facts and became responsible, my life changed.

(This is only a thought, and not necessarily the answer to all self esteem issues.)

Blessings, Joe Crawford

For further ideas read "If How-To's Were Enough We Would All be Skinny, Rich and Happy" by Brian Klemmer

No comments: